October 14, 2011 CSL--details of Friday's Quarterfinal game (from CSL website)


SC Toronto won the match but York Region Shooters took the spoils following a ding-dong 127 minutes of entertaining second leg quarterfinal 
playoff soccer at Lamport Stadium in Toronto’s west-end Friday night.

The second of a two-game home and away series to decide the team to advance to the semifinals in pursuit of the CSL Championship – the Shooters won 
the first clash 1-0 on October 9 – was described by Rogers TV commentator Zamir Karim as “One of the best games in the CSL all season.”

The score at the end of 97 minutes of regular time plus added time was 4-3 for SC Toronto, which added up to a 4-4 aggregate over the two games.  
30 minutes of extra time were played to decide the winner – which it didn’t, so the 4-4 aggregate went into penalty kicks, won 4-2 
by York Region Shooters.

There were nine attempts for the 4-2 penalty kick victory by York Region, but the game itself also saw three spot kicks and all found the net.

The first produced the opening goal of the game when SC Toronto’s Massimo Mirabelli scored following a tripping incident called by referee 
Gianni Facchini.  That was followed by a similar infringement by SC Toronto and forward Kadian Lecky scored for the Shooters at 39 minutes, 
a 1-1 score at half-time.

SC Toronto went ahead at 52 minutes, a goal by Alexandros Halis, but the visitors tied the game 2-2 10 minutes later from the third spot kick and 
like the earlier one, Kadian Lecky made no mistake for his second of the match. Referee Facchini ordered the kick following a pushing incident 
in the SC Toronto box.

Mirabelli struck his second of the game at 73 minutes for a SC Toronto lead, but at 89 minutes Jason De Thomasis scored an untidy goal, but one 
which tied the game 3-3 for the Shooters and which appeared to be the quarterfinal decider.

But SC Toronto came back to score again when Halis headed past York Region goalkeeper Adam Majer and two defenders at the 96th  minute mark, 
a last minute life-line that led to the 30 minutes of extra time. The goal came after the home side’s John Louis Perruzo was red-carded at 93 minutes 
and before Lecky was sent off the bench at 97 minutes.

SC Toronto lost coach Carmine Isacco when he was ordered out of the game just before half-time for dissent.

Playoff summary  to date:


Quarterfinals - First leg
Toronto Croatia 4, Mississauga Eagles FC 0
Montreal Impact Academy 1, Capital City FC 1
York Region Shooters 1, SC Toronto 0
Serbian White Eagles 2, Brampton City Utd. 0

Quarterfinals – Second leg
SC Toronto 4, York Region Shooters 3
Teams tied 4-4 on aggregate, York Region Shooters advance to semi-finals on penalty kicks 4-2.

Upcoming games:

Quarterfinals – Second leg

Saturday, October 15, Centennial Stadium, 8 pm Serbian White Eagles vs. Brampton City Utd

Sunday, October 16, Terry Fox Stadium 3 pm Capital City FC vs. Montreal Impact Academy

Sunday, October 16, Centennial Stadium 7 pm Toronto Croatia vs Mississauga Eagles FC

back to CSL 2011 menu